2.18.2008

Repurposed Fingerless Gloves

I mentioned last month that I had a few more felted wool sweater projects up my sleeve. Well, this project is right off the sleeve. Fingerless gloves made from the sleeves of purposely (and accidentally) felted sweaters.

I made the pair above for my mom, who works in a cold office but still needs use of her fingers. She has knit several pairs of fingerless gloves as gifts, and even though she can knit a pair in a weekend, I am proud to say the fingerless gloves I made for her took me 30 minutes, tops.

Simply trace a pattern using the intended recipient's hand, allowing a little extra room around the edges for comfort. Turn the sleeve of the sweater you are using inside out, place the pattern above the cuff (if the sleeve does not have a cuff, determine the size of cuff desired and place the pattern above the intended cuff). Trace the pattern in chalk and sew along the chalk line between the fingers and thumb.

Cut the top of the thumb at the chalk line,

and the space between the fingers and the thumb.

Turn the gloves inside out. I used a rather tight sleeve for this pair of gloves, hence the bunching between the fingers and thumb. To reduce the bunching and create a more fluid and flexible seam, place the thumb at a greater angle to the body of the glove.

If desired, crochet a decorative edge around the top. I simply slip-stitched around this pair for Avery using crochet yarn and a small crochet hook.

I also made a pair for the little boy next door (modeled below by Aidan) without any decorative stitching. His poor little hands get cold when digging in the dirt, but he still needs his fingers for whatever it is boys do with their fingers - pick up worms, pick their noses, etc.

And that's it! A fast, easy and functional use of felted sweaters; speaking of which, sniff, sniff, I accidently shrunk two of my favorite sweaters in my haste to catch up on laundry this weekend. So I promptly ran to the thrift store and found three more.

In other news, I finally created a three column template that I am happy with. Third time is a charm I suppose. And just in case you were wondering about the picture in my new banner, we are currently on puddle patrol around the yard, trying to eliminate breeding grounds for mosquitos before they really get busy, and this was a puddle in the bottom of our red wagon.

The Noticing Project has me looking in unusual places for unexpected images.

24 comments:

  1. The Noticing Project is so full of inspiration, it has me wanting to carry my camera around my neck all day long, which would make the neighbors think I'm even more strange than they already do!
    And I am so taken with your red wagon picture, it's such a mesmerizing combination of warm and cool. Really lovely.
    And your fingerless gloves make me want to toss some sweaters in the washer...would that be wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool! esp. since i don't knit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so pretty! Love them. Maybe that's what I'll do with that felted sweater that's been waiting for a project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, thanks for sharing it! And beautiful photo, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the quick tutorial! they turned out great. and i do love your banner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't you clever! They are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your new banner!

    and this is such a great project - i have a sweater saved to make a pillow - now i know what i'll do with the sleeves! :^D)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that picture, too! And your new banner.

    And Cole loves his gloves - of course it's too warm to wear them now. But I'm sure this is just a tease.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Genius gloves. And love your banner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the tutorial. I've been wanting to knit a pair myself, but you know my knitting skills. I have the perfect sweater and all I was needing was a tutorial.

    Love them Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THIS is awesome, molly. The stitching detail is just perfection, too. I'm definitely going to try this because I have several sweaters waiting for the perfect project. These are great for chilly spring mornings, too, I think. And that top pink pair is just so pretty.

    thank you so much for the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great idea! I have about 5 sets of arms just looking for a purpose. Everyone will have fingerless mitts that won't take me till next winter to knit. First time commenting. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the positive feedback on your gloves. You never cease to amaze me.
    Love
    Dad
    P.S. Mom has great looking hands! Glad she was your model!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh boy.

    i think i could do these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the fingerless gloves you made! I bought a cheap part of gloves at the store and cut the fingertips off. Nothing fancy but it serves it's purpose. I think I may go check the thrift store for sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely. Thank you for sharing that great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Obviously clicked on the wrong comment box when I wrote about the fingerless gloves. *doh*

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG!!! That is soooo neat! Can you do a tutorial for the slip stitch for us so very non sewing type people????

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aaaaa!!! How cute!!! Not only is this a great way to recycle sweaters and such,but your chalk holder is GREAT!!! I have in my stash several old cigar tins and I am almost finished with my tin of mustard. Hated to throw them away now I have a great use for them!!! Thank you for great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh, I have to make these!! Thanks for the inspiration and instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The gloves are genius!

    Visiting from small notebook...great blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wanted to let you know that I just linked back to this post of yours. Thanks for the great idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the gloves ... being from Florida an now living in the plains states ...brrr it is COLD here, these remind me of bike gloves ... THANK YOU for all the informative idea ...hmmmm where can I begin !?1?

    ReplyDelete

Sewing Crafts

Archive

email: mollydunham@sbcglobal.net
Share |